Job Title: Database Administrator
Job Type: Full-Time, Exempt
Location: Remote Position
Expected Start Date: Early to Mid October 2023
Who We Are
At Rebellion Energy Solutions (RES) we are bringing together the energy industry and social & environmental justice. Our vision is to create durable, high-quality carbon credits by returning abandoned oil and gas well sites to nature’s image. Additionally, our energy land restoration solutions seek to solve real-world social, environmental and market dilemmas.
Using carbon markets, we are incentivizing the clean-up of orphan wells and providing a platform for investment in sustainability. For those that have a deep desire to support our work in decommissioning legacy oil & gas wells properly and restoring lands with pride of ownership and a legacy of health and beauty for future generations, we invite you to join us in this work.
About the Role
The opportunities ahead of us for orphan well clean-up and land restoration at scale are great. As our work and team expands, we are seeking a highly skilled and experienced Database Administrator to join our team.
The successful candidate will be responsible for supporting the Data Operations Manager by performing a variety of tasks involved in managing the organization’s database, reports, implementing solutions in creative ways and assisting in the upkeep of the company’s data room. This candidate will own the projects they work on and collaborate across teams within the company to ensure the data needs are being met on a day-to-day basis.
- Database Design and Development
- Designing and implementing the company’s database infrastructure to effectively capture, store, and manage data related to well plugging and carbon credit activities.
- Developing data models, schemas, and database structures that support the company’s data needs.
- Collaborating with cross-functional teams to identify data requirements and ensure database solutions meet business objectives.
- Database Administration and Maintenance
- Ensuring the confidentiality, integrity, availability, and security of the company’s databases.
- Monitoring and optimizing database performance, including regular performance tuning, software and OS patching and troubleshooting.
- Managing database backups, recovery procedures, and disaster recovery plans.
- Enforcing the Data Life-Cycle management policies and procedures.
- Implementing and enforcing data security measures to protect sensitive information.
- Data Integration and ETL Processes
- Implementing data extraction, transformation, and loading (ETL) processes to consolidate data from various sources into the company’s databases.
- Ensuring the accuracy and quality of data through data validation and cleansing techniques.
- Developing and maintaining data integration workflows and pipelines.
- Data Analysis and Reporting
- Conducting data analysis to generate insights and support decision-making processes.
- Collaborating with stakeholders to identify reporting requirements and developing reports, dashboards, and visualizations.
- Ensuring data accuracy and consistency in reporting by conducting regular data quality checks.
- Assisting in the preparation of regulatory reports related to carbon credit activities and emission reduction projects.
- Data Governance and Compliance
- Establishing and enforcing data governance policies, standards, and procedures.
- Ensuring compliance with relevant data protection regulations and industry best practices.
- Managing data access permissions and roles to maintain data security and privacy.
- Collaboration and Stakeholder Management
- Collaborating with internal teams, including environmental engineers, project managers, and finance professionals, to support their data needs.
- Liaising with external stakeholders, such as environmental regulators and carbon market participants, to exchange data and meet reporting requirements.
- Providing technical expertise and support to stakeholders regarding database-related inquiries.
- Database Documentation and Training
- Documenting database architecture, design decisions, and processes to maintain a comprehensive knowledge base.
- Conducting training sessions for users and stakeholders on database usage, best practices, and data-related policies.
- Compile research into easily translatable documents/presentations for the C-suite and Management team.
- Interacting with GIS, Tableau and other programming languages to translate data.
Because we know that the nature of the work that we do requires charting a new path and shifting a legacy culture within the oil and gas industry, we also value transferable skills from complementary industries and lived experiences that have offered a training ground for developing the competencies needed to excel on our team and in this role. The successful candidate for this role will have a mix of the following qualifications, competencies and commitment to our core values:
- A passion for environmental justice and sustainability, and a desire to help chart a course in an emerging field.
- Associate’s and/or Bachelor’s degree in a computer discipline preferred but not required.
- 2-5 years of relevant experience.
- Ability to take ownership of projects, work collaboratively in a team environment and ability to lead when necessary.
- Proven work experience as a Database Administrator or similar role, preferably in the energy or environmental sector.
- Proficiency in designing, implementing, and maintaining relational databases.
- Strong understanding of database architecture, data modeling, and data integrity principles.
- Experience with database management systems, database administration tools and utilities, able to optimize database performance and troubleshoot issues, knowledge of data security and privacy standards.
- Proficiency in data extraction, transformation, and loading (ETL) processes.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills to analyze complex data sets.
- Experience with data visualization tools and techniques to present insights effectively.
- Ability to generate accurate reports, conduct data quality checks, and ensure data integrity
- Ability to work collaboratively with cross-functional teams, including operations team and field staff.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, proficiency in Excel & MS Suite.
- Motivated individual with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and re-prioritize as needed.
- Programming experience using program languages such as SQL and Python is an added benefit but not required.
- Experience researching, designing and implementing relevant and up-to-date methods of processing data as it relates to oil and gas.
- Ability to creatively problem-solve and work in a collaborative environment.
- Familiarity with emerging technologies in oil & gas.
- Ability to create presentations, training materials and ability to train data owners, stewards and stakeholders.
- Rebellious Individuality: Our work culture encourages you to bring your true self to the table.
- Authentic Communication: We nurture an open and honest team environment that allows you to share transparently in the spirit of collaboration and problem-solving, while also holding space and listening to others with the intent of understanding and finding common ground.
- Unlimited Collaboration: The issues we seek to solve are often layered and impact communities. To find sustainable and just solutions, everyone is welcome, always.
- Creative Thinking: Working in an emerging industry, it is essential that you are comfortable being uncomfortable.
- Genuine Solutions: Don’t focus on why we can’t, rather on finding a way we can.
Compensation and Benefits:
The compensation for this full-time, exempt position starts at $95k-$125k and is based upon expertise, years of experience and a verifiable track record of results. This compensation is accompanied by a competitive benefits package including: vacation/sick leave, medical/dental/vision insurance and 401k matching.
How to Apply
If your skills, knowledge, experience and passion for environmental justice and sustainability aligns with the qualifications, competencies and values shared above we invite you to share your interest in this exciting opportunity.
Even if you don’t “check all the boxes” above, we want to hear from you! We value the lived experiences and transferable skills that you feel make you an excellent candidate for this role and welcome the opportunity to learn more about them.
Complete our online application and submit your resume here. We look forward to hearing from you!